Tuesday 15 March 2016

NC State Wolfpack Women left out of 2016 NCAA tournament

I feel like we need to have a talk. The RPI is a terrible metric, regardless of what anyone hopes to capture with it. It is inherently broken. It should not carry the weight it does, not in 2016 when we have found countless superior ways to evaluate teams. We still live in a world of  RPI-as-tiebreaker and it's hurting college basketball. I've come to terms with it, but I don't have to like it.

NC State's women's basketball team did not earn an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. I thought they should have been in the tournament, but I'm biased. I think the death blow was a 1-8 record against RPI top 50 teams, but RPI ignores the actual legitimate quality of teams, given that RPI is calculated by your idiot cousin breaking a calculator over his knee and squinting the results.

I could rage all night against the RPI. Doesn't matter. Doesn't change the fact that NC State is sitting at home this March. Doesn't alter the inescapable stupidity of the RPI, which might well be used forever. Doesn't change the fact that NC State had a tourament berth within easy grasp on multiple occasions and choked every single time. Sometimes it's that kind of year, man.

That's sports, and sports are sorry. Or they damn well should be.


http://ift.tt/22hCT6C

No comments:

Post a Comment